September 22, 2017, 11:31 PM : Please sign in or register for a free account. Get information about membership.
Who's chatting now:
Forum: Forums / Suggestions

Suggestions
Autopilot reverting to manually set speed causes problems en>fr fr>en
By Luckily Comments: 40, member since Fri Jun 01, 2012
On Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:45 AM
Moved to Suggestions by linh (26) on 2012-08-08 05:39:39

Autopilot, when disengaged, reverts to your manual settings. My personal opinion is that after you break autopilot, your manually set speed should shift to match your current speed.

Anybody who uses autopilot a lot may not ever need to set their manual speed at all, except for the one fact that they absolutely must, if they don't want to suddenly be a sitting duck in combat. Also, the way it works now just isn't natural or instinctive.

This would be more useful in almost any situation, because when you enter autopilot, it's because circumstances have altered somehow, and when you exit autopilot, it's because they've changed again. Your original settings are not going to be relevant to the situation at hand.

6 Replies to Autopilot reverting to manually set speed causes problems

re: Autopilot reverting to manually set speed causes problems en>fr fr>en
By linh Comments: 179, member since Sat Jun 30, 2007
On Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:57 AM
This is an interesting suggestion. The original thinking was that you could set your speed high before entering autopilot, so that when autopilot ends (like destroying an enemy you're orbiting), you'd get the manual speed. I could see how continuing your current speed is useful. Any other players want to chime in here?

Also, the soon-to-be-released update lets you pause the game when picking a new autopilot mode via the radial autopilot control (which also includes wingmen control). When this radial menu is up, you can also change targets. So it does help a little in that you can pick a new target and use an autopilot mode while the game is paused, so you're less of a sitting duck.
On Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:25 AM
I do understand the thinking between the manual speed setting, but with all the automation available, there is never a need to set a manual speed setting. It has become simply another chore I have to complete every time I launch, in order to protect myself during combat.
By Sheinfell Comments: 101, member since Fri May 25, 2012
On Tue Jun 05, 2012 09:42 AM
linh wrote:

This is an interesting suggestion. The original thinking was that you could set your speed high before entering autopilot, so that when autopilot ends (like destroying an enemy you're orbiting), you'd get the manual speed. I could see how continuing your current speed is useful. Any other players want to chime in here?

I use the autopilot almost exclusively (I am lazy, why do it manually when the game does it for me?) and never had any problems with that. I cannot even remember when I last used the manual speed slider.
What would be great - might be difficult to implement though - is a speed control like you have it in cars. You pick a speed on the manual slider, push a button to commit it to your ship's memory. And next time you disengage the autopilot, speed is set to what you picked earlier.

linh wrote:

Also, the soon-to-be-released update lets you pause the game when picking a new autopilot mode via the radial autopilot control (which also includes wingmen control). When this radial menu is up, you can also change targets. So it does help a little in that you can pick a new target and use an autopilot mode while the game is paused, so you're less of a sitting duck.

I hope the pausing is optional. I like the way the game continues when you do your combat actions. Pausing everytime I do something in combat would seriously destroy the flow for me. And I almost never need to use the wingman control, as they are smart enough to shoot anything that moves :)
On Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:55 AM
We have something like the cruise control currently - it's what's in use now. One of the big problems with it, though, is that it doesn't remember its setting between warps.
By HUYNH_D8 Comments: 35, member since Sun Jul 29, 2012
On Thu Aug 02, 2012 09:07 AM
oh yeah thats cool if the engines would maintain its current thrust cause i keep finding myself going to manual targeting and having to decrease thrust before steering the ship again, a bit of a nuisance.
By linh Comments: 179, member since Sat Jun 30, 2007
On Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:41 AM
Version 1.1.0 now keeps the current thrust setting of the autopilot when you lose or destroy your autopilot target. This way, missiles and turrets don't immediately get a better bead on you like before when you started to slow down to zero thrust.

ReplySendWatch

. . . Return to Top of Page